What we do
The Group has a proven business model of buying land, securing detailed planning consent and then building, selling and managing high-quality developments across the UK that are specifically designed to meet the lifestyle needs of older people.
The company has three products and provides a range of management services.
- The Group’s Retirement Living developments provide high-quality owner-occupied apartments exclusively for those aged 60 and over, offering residents independence with peace of mind.
- These developments have been designed to address the specific needs and aspirations of customers, providing for independent living in owner-occupied apartments while also offering security and companionship.
- Retirement Living apartments typically feature one or two bedrooms, spacious lounges, fitted kitchens, lifts to all floors, level access, extra storage, en-suite bathroom and often private outside space in the form of balconies, terraces or patios. To cater towards the needs of its residents, ovens and plug sockets are raised to waist height and bathrooms are equipped with slip-resistant flooring and lever taps for easier operation. Additionally, secure areas for charging mobility scooters are available.
- Retirement Living apartments are designed with a camera door entry system as well as a 24-hour emergency call system with an emergency pendant alarm system installed in each apartment. They feature a large amount of shared space, including a communal lounge, guest suites to accommodate visiting family and friends and landscaped grounds. These facilities provide increased opportunities for companionship and friendship, helping to reduce isolation and loneliness.
- Retirement Living developments are typically built to Lifetime Homes Standards, a set of design criteria that provide a model for building accessible and adaptable homes, future proofed for additional support should it be required at a later date.
- Management services in Retirement Living developments are provided by McCarthy & Stone Management Services (MSMS), the Group’s wholly-owned subsidiary. Each Retirement Living development has a dedicated house manager typically on-site five days a week during working hours managing the day-to-day running of the development while also helping to facilitate various social activities.
Retirement Living Plus (formerly known as Assisted Living)
- Retirement Living Plus developments are designed exclusively for customers aged 70 and over, offering a retirement apartment with management services, domestic assistance, personal care and additional support. Retirement Living Plus is an attractive alternative for people seeking additional support but who wish to retain independent home ownership and do not want to move into residential care. The Directors believe that the Group is currently the only national provider in the UK market offering a product with these characteristics.
- Retirement Living Plus developments are similar to Retirement Living developments but have a number of additional features. They are built to full wheelchair accessibility design standards and are tailored to the specific needs and aspirations of those who require additional support. Facilities include a full table-service restaurant with meals prepared freshly on-site, a function room and secure mobility scooter store room.
- Additionally, YourLIfe Management Services (YLMS), a subsidiary of MSMS, owned 50/50 by MSMS and Somerset Care Group, a leading not-for-profit care provider with over 20 years’ experience, provides management services, domestic assistance, personal care and additional support in Retirement Living Plus developments. Each development has a dedicated on-site estate manager managing the day-to-day running of the development while also facilitating various social activities.
- YLMS provides weekly scheduled domestic assistance and, if required, a dedicated personal care team that is on-hand 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Lifestyle Living (formerly known as Ortus Homes)
- Lifestyle Living is the Group’s new product for customers aged 55 and over looking to downsize for their leisure years. The Group launched Lifestyle Living in October 2014 to expand its product range and to capture a wider share of the retiree market by appealing to more active retirees.
- Lifestyle Living developments are designed for people looking to downsize into high-quality, well-located and low-maintenance apartments. Developments typically have fewer, but larger, apartments than the Group’s established core products, with higher car parking ratios. They are intelligently and attractively designed to future-proof later living.
- Features are incorporated discreetly to achieve an ageless design and developments typically feature an enhanced lobby area and an open-plan feel. Each apartment has a fully fitted kitchen and master bedroom with an en-suite bathroom and walk-in wardrobe.
- As residents tend to be more independent, Lifestyle Living developments have a visiting manager who is on call and regularly makes site visits. This service is provided by MSMS. As age exclusivity is less of a focus, Lifestyle Living emphasize security and lifestyle, as well as privacy and personal space.
Management, support and care services
- In 2010, the Group established McCarthy & Stone Management Services (MSMS) as a wholly owned subsidiary to provide management services in the Group’s Retirement Living developments (and, later, Ortus Homes developments) and YourLife Management Services (YLMS), a subsidiary of MSMS owned 50/50 by MSMS and Somerset Care Group, to provide management services, domestic assistance, personal care and additional support in its Assisted Living developments. MSMS and YLMS link together the Group’s expertise in housebuilding and management services to create an on-going relationship with its residents.
- The Directors believe that the Group’s ability to provide its own high-quality and effective management and support services has proven to be an attractive offering to its customers and key to the Group’s product offering.
- The Group’s management and support services enable it to develop a unique relationship with its residents from the point of sale, and the Group seeks to ensure that they receive high standards of support at all times.